All Inductees

Glynn Vick

In 1923, at the age of 6 years old, Glynn started his rodeo career riding junior calves at the First Belton rodeo. This rodeo was held at Midway, located halfway between Belton and Temple, Texas. In 1924, the rodeo was moved to Belton and has been held there ever since. A hat was passed to reward the young cowboy, and his take totaled $17.00 in pennies, nickels, dimes, and quarters. It took every pocket to hold his winnings. If that wasn’t enough to make a young cowboy pop the buttons off his shirt, then it must have been when his father, W.E. Vick, won the $100.00 first prize in calf roping. Glynn’s dad and Mance McBride furnished the stock for that rodeo.

In 1943, while in the U.S. Army and stationed at Paris, Texas, Glynn went to a rodeo at Hugo, Oklahoma. It was there, with a borrowed bull rope and spurs, that he won first in both go-rounds and first in the average. He rode an Eschew bull #77 that had never been ridden.

In 1945 at the Dublin rodeo, Glynn won first in the bull riding and was presented with a $50 War Bond for a prize. The winners were told they could buy themselves a buckle with the money if they wanted to. Thirty-one years later, Glynn did just that. At this time, the Dublin rodeo was considered one of the biggest in Texas. This rodeo was produced by Coburn and Autry. If Glynn could win this one, he could have won them all.

In 1945, Glynn joined the Rodeo Cowboys Association. Glynn continued to rodeo until he was 33 years old and finally hung up his spurs. In 1976, he joined the ORCA. Glynn was 60 years old and hadn’t been on a bull in 27 years. His love of the sport compelled him to dust off his boots and spurs. His brothers, R.L and Cecil (who also had rodeo’d), advised Glynn against it. Despite this, he won the Eddie Born Memorial Award. At age 64, he once again won championships and has a silver and gold buckle to prove it.

Glynn was born and raised in Youngsport, Texas. Glynn always had a job and rodeo’d just for the fun of it. He said, “I’ve always loved it.” Due to his job, he mostly rodeo’d in Texas. Later in life, Glynn moved to McGregor, Texas, where he and his brother owned their own businesses for 40 years before he retired.

*Picture was taken at Waxahachie, Texas, in 1945. Stock contractor Grafton Nuckels, bull #20.